"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face:
now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."
1 Corinthians 13:12
With that in mind, let's take a look at the rapidly-developing events happening in the Middle East through the lens of what has been revealed in the Bible. It's all about Israel!
We know of two of the great wars Israel will face, one presented in great detail in Ezekiel 38, and another in Psalm 83. It looks like the latter will precede the former, for very good reasons.
1. The most well-known and long-discussed passage is in Ezekiel 38 where Iran and Russia, along with several north African Muslim nations will come down to destroy Israel. When these prophecies were given, keep in mind that the prophet used the names of the places as they were called then. Historians have been able to trace who they were at the time, and what those areas are called today. For example, "Persia" was the leading kingdom on earth in the times of some of the prophets. Today, the area which was then called Persia is present-day Iran. In like manor we can identify the other nations listed.
Some facts to notice about the Ezekiel 38 passage:
1. Russia and Iran will be leading the assault
2. Verse 8 shows us it will take place in the last days
3. It will be at a time when Israel is in a state of relative peace
4. In this passage you will not find Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, or Saudi Arabia, which are the present-day immediate neighbors of Israel.
This arouses some questions:
- How can it be when Israel is at a time of peace? She hasn't had peace since Israel has been re-established in 1948.
- And why are Israel's immediate neighbors not mentioned in this conflict?
The answer may lie in the war mentioned in Psalm 83. This passage DOES mention Israel's present-day immediate neighbors, and verse 12 even tells their motive, which is to take the land from Israel.
"Let us take to ourselves the houses of God in possession..."
So Israel will come to a semblance of peace, when God judges her immediate neighbors, the so-called Palestinians, "as fire burns wood." This will put Israel in a state of peace that she hasn't experienced since she has been regathered to her land.
Is what is happening in Egypt a precursor to the Psalm 83 war?
We can only watch and see, but from viewing the unrest not only in Egypt but in the other countries surrounding Israel, it's only too obvious that exactly that is being set up. In fact, the very words of the Psalm are only too familiar today:
"They have said, 'Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance.'"
Those words have constantly been in our news reports on the happenings in the Middle East. How could the psalmist, and the prophet Isaiah have known so particularly, so exactly, the specific alliances and hatreds and motives that would take place "in the last days" from more than 2,700 years ago?
What has been revealed about Egypt in "the last days" which seems to be developing right now?
1. Egyptians will fight against Egyptians
2. They will come under the hand of a dictator, a "cruel master," and a "fierce king."
"I will set Egyptians against Egyptians; Everyone will fight against his brother, and everyone against his neighbor... And the Egyptians I will give into the hand of a cruel master, and a fierce king will rule over them," Says the Lord, the LORD of hosts.
Civil unrest will be the cause of Egyptians warring against Egyptians. That is EXACTLY what we are witnessing right now.
We need to be watching this very, very closely. If the Muslim Brotherhood takes over in Egypt, then the very life of Israel is threatened, because the Muslim Brotherhood vehemently hates Israel.
But it's not just Egypt:
1. Israel's northern border in Lebanon is under the control of the Iranian-backed Hezbollah terrorist group.
2. Israel's northeast border is Syria, the avowed and longtime enemy of Israel, and which along with Iran is the supporter of the terrorist groups threatening Israel.
3. Jordan sits as Israel's eastern neighbor and the uproar in the region is spreading into Jordan as well.
4. Israel's neighbor to the further northwest is Turkey, which until recently was an ally but has abandoned its ties with Israel and has embraced the radical Muslim nations.
5. Israel's southern border is under the control of the fierce Israel-hating Hamas terror group, and that area abuts Egypt.
6. Israel's western border is the Mediterranean Sea, which all of the above have vowed to push Israel into.
What more does God have to say concerning Egypt as she relates to Israel? Read Isaiah 19:17-22
1. Israel will be victorious over Egypt:
"And the land of Judah shall be a terror unto Egypt, every one that maketh mention thereof shall be afraid in himself, because of the counsel of the LORD of hosts, which he hath determined against it."
2. Even the Hebrew language will be spoken in Egypt.
"In that day shall five cities in the land of Egypt speak the language of Canaan, and swear to the LORD of hosts..."
3.Egypt is one nation that will not be destroyed. She will be struck and then be converted.
"And the LORD shall smite Egypt: he shall smite and heal it: and they shall return even to the LORD, and he shall be entreated of them, and shall heal them."
Pray for Israel, and for God's people in the Middle East. Pray for the Muslim nations because even as these things are lining up for last-days events, God is doing a great work among the Muslims. Thousands upon thousands are coming to the Lord.
Listen to testimonies
Pray for the great harvest of souls before the door is closed and the events of the great Tribulation are unleashed upon a wicked and unbelieving world. Things are even at this moment lining up for the event of the last days to unfold. The door will soon be closed.